Tuesday, December 31, 2013

encaustic and mixed media painting, part of my new series

80 cm x 80 cm
 Here is the finished painting, I think. I shared the first steps in the previous blog.

I started with a beautiful, smooth cradled board, primed it with yellow milk paint and began the under painting in oil.

The next step is to cover the whole surface with clear encaustic medium and add oil glazes and texture. I build layers with the oil and encaustic and go back and forth. Occasionally I will add a touch of oil pastel, but very little, since it has a paraffin base, not beeswax and I do not want the 2 waxes to be incompatible.

I pound textures into the wax and layer stenciling to get the finished look.
detail

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.