Monday, April 28, 2014

Water Icon, oil and encaustic

I did 4 icons with element themes. This one is water. The element of water rules emotions,;the ocean. lakes, steams, ponds, wells, rivers, intuition, and the womb.

Aphrodite, the goddess of love is emerging from a lotus on the center panel while dolphins play in the background.  On the left is Vivian of the Lake form the Avalon tales, holding the sword Excalibur that came from the waters and was returned to their depths after the rein of King Arthur.  On the right, the angel Gabriel guides the beings who live in the waters.

At the time I made these icons, I was living in Ashland OR. In the center of town is  beautiful Lithia park. I would hike there and also spend hours sitting and watching the cascading waters come tumbling down from the top of the mountain. The back of the icon is my interpretation of those wonderful falls. It is painted completely in encaustic.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.