Saturday, September 20, 2014

Mexico City Adventure

For a complete change of pace, my daughter  Cynthia and I went to my favorite city ; Mexico City, for 3 days. We needed a break for our routine and certainly were inspired by the art and the food and the sophistication of the people in Colonia Roma where we stayed.

I have been getting tired of encaustic. To me, it has the flavor of cult-like devotion and many paintings that I see posted on Face Book on the encaustic sites, are from "new" artists who are in love with the  surface technique, and have no interest or ability to create a painting with a reason for being, including composition or the fundamentals of painting.

We went to 3 museums, but the one that inspired and excited us was the Museo Tamayo. The show was perfectly curated. There was also the 19th biennial show that featured young artists. I was thrilled that there were many beautiful executed, technically beautiful figurative paintings.




Add caption

Not everything was figurative




detail


2 comments:

  1. I really loved the museum tour. Yes, fabulous work. I also am enjoying your book. I have yet had time to pursue the art of encaustic in the style you use though. My own is very different but I am not getting the realism that I crave yet. I cannot wait to see some of the new ways in which your art leads you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've painted in almost every style in encaustic, from color field, abstract, and figurative. My online advanced encasutic techniques classes cover a wide variety of styles and techniques.

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.