Thursday, August 20, 2015

A New Direction, Women Who Changed the World

I had been thinking that I would return to painting abstracts, but no art nothing really touches me like well painted figurative work. I started drawing people when I was a child and faces still are fascinating to me.

I am delighted that I see many, young figurative painters on the Internet.  Their work is exciting and inspirational. These are artists who actually can draw, paint, and SEE. For years, figurative painting has been dismissed by galleries, art schools,  and museums, but there seems to be a renewed interest in large, very loosely painting portraiture.

I would love to be able to loosen up even more than the 50 Faces I recently finished. I seem to be procrastinating about starting because I know the first few paintings are going to be disappointing, until I can get into the magical zone, that sometimes happens.

This series will be, "Women Who Changed the World" I have a list of about 48 women, most of them American. I would love to hear from you with your thoughts and suggestions. These women are not necessarily all Mother Teresa-like. They can be villains in some eyes as well as benefactors. They do not have to have lived in this century.

Below are paintings that are older and some recent ones. This is not what I want to next accomplish. I hope I can stretch my abilities to push into the now world of painting. At my age, I know I don't have 10 or 15 years to keep working. Let's see what I can do.

Not This, oil on canvas 2003

Not This, encasutic on board, 2013

Not This, oil on board, 2015

Not this, oil on board, 2014

Not This either., oil, encaustic, transfers, on board, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.