Friday, April 1, 2016

How I made a figurative encasutic painting

This painting, Sewing in Chiapas, almost painted itself. I was working from a photograph that I took on a visit to San Christobal de Las Casas. It was for a solo show for a gallery entitled "A Time of Witness" influenced by  my respect for the women of Mexico. This particular encaustic image took a different turn. I used transfers of slain Zapatistas, and images of Palenque throughout the background and the woman's clothing. They are purposely subtle. I just wanted the suggestion of the woman's history, not a photographic display. I then added oil stain and colored encausitc and scraped back with a razor blade to the under lying layers for the highlights. A black china marker reinforced the black details.

This painting sold Wednesday night. I especially was attached to this one  and was happy to have it go to its new home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.