Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Truth Hurts

My daughter, Cynthia, came back from San Francisco last night and today I took her into my studio. She took a long pause and said, "Mom, don't sign that one. It is too pretty." She had other comments that I took as "never let this painting out of your studio and paint over it" ; also adding "you make beautiful paintings, not pretty ones."

The sad thing was that after an hour of mentally making excuses, I knew she was right. There is no saving this painting. I am posting it before it is destroyed. I will ask my assistant to sand it smooth and  gesso over it.

 I trust Cynthia to be completely honest with me. She is an artist, the most creative person I have ever met, and has had the experience of being one of the top art dealers in San Francisco for 16 years. She given me the inspiration for some my best series over the last 20 years. And she doesn't try to flatter me.



If you remember, I have been having a struggle with this paintings. I knew I overworked it. I faced it everyday with a bit of a knot in my stomach. I was determined to make it work. Trust that gut feeling! Just because there is a lot of time and paint on the surface, does not make it a good painting.

Particularly since I am in the last chapter in my life, I do not want to make weak, poorly painted art with no reason for being.

I have more ideas for the next paintings and I am glad that Cynthia is home to keep me on track.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.