Thursday, September 15, 2016

Is It True That Artists Are Always Young?


I was listening to NPR the other day and heard Gloria Steinem being interviewed. What a fascinating woman! She mentioned that she is 82 years old. So am I. She tells people her age, as do I, because it seems quite curious to her. The number sounds ancient and she doesn't feel archaic. Ms. Steinem said that she doesn't have role models for women her age. That struck me as something that I am not experiencing. There are many women painters that are that age and creating great work.

Under my high school graduation picture in the 1952  year book, some mysterious editor wrote, "Artists are always young" At 17 years old, I didn't understand it. Now, I do. We are never finished; even though I boldly proclaim, several times a years, "I am through painting forever and forever." That is until I am driven to create a new series, thinking I must make the best art possible to leave in the world after I am gone.

Here is quote from May 20, 2913 issue of Art News titled
You Become Better With Age. http://www.artnews.com/2013/05/20/making-art-after-8/

Artists who are going strong at 80 and up find that old age offers freedom, self-assurance, and room to explore .


I finished the series Reverie yesterday. There are 12 paintings. all are 80cm x 100 cm on board and are available for purchase.http:www.ezshwan.com
I will take my usual break to work online and get ready for a gallery opening Oct first. I am sure there will be more paintings. In the back of my mind I am picturing some smaller cold wax abstracts, but who knows? I have loved figurative painting since I was a child. 

Remembering When We Met.

Rose Petals

The Kiss of the Giant Hummingbird

process

process

The Key to Her Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.