Friday, November 11, 2016

Dancing With Death

Last week I enjoyed a trip to Sierra Gorda, a part of Mexico that I hadn't seen before. It is beautifully green and mountainous.

 I have lived in Mexico 12 years and I find that there is always more to discover. What I have learned is that Mexicans consider death just a part of life and every year  "The Day of The Dead" is on Nov. 1 and 2, ( Nov. 1 is for the angelitos, the babies and little ones), the Mexicans celebrate and honor their loved ones and respected people who have passed on with altars covered with the the favorite food, drink and photos of the souls on the other side . They plan on reuniting with these souls this once time a year. The sent of marigolds guide the loved ones to the place of the party and reunion.

The altars and cemeteries are different in Jalpan than San Miguel de Allende, where I live. The people in Jalpan created more accessible altars and welcomed everyone with hot Atole and chicken tamales.

I saw much more than the jardin in Jalpan, but I just want to share the photos of the celebration of the Day of the Dead for now.













No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.